The Art Society of Inverness was founded 75 years ago and continues to provide all kinds of opportunities to artists, aspiring artists and those just interested in the visual arts. Our activities include classes, workshops, talks, demonstrations, trips, exhibitions and of course social events. Members come from all over the Highlands and beyond, and include a wide spectrum of artists, from experienced professionals to leisure painters and beginners. This website is for members and non-members alike. Please use the menu on the left to find out what we do and what is going on. You can also see the work of some of our members on the Gallery pages.
NEWS following the Coronavirus crisis:
Since all of our group activities had to be suspended in March 2020 several new initiatives were set up to keep the society active and in communication on-line. These included:
- the SPRING CHALLENGE (banish the Corona Blues) to get members painting on "Spring inspired" paintings. They were displayed on Facebook. This has now been superseded by the SUMMER CHALLENGE (Things are hotting up!) - again paintings will be displayed on Facebook.
- the TOGETHER 2020 GALLERY was set up to help to maintain and demonstrate continuity of our painting activities during the Coronavirus crisis.
- the TOGETHER 2020 DRAWING ROOM was also added to motivate and illustrate the continuation of ASI drawing activities during the crisis.
- from 1st JULY members are invited to send an additional set of (up to) 3 images of paintings for the TOGETHER 2020 GALLERY-2 and /or for the DRAWING ROOM.
- all those who attend Jonathan Shearer's classes were invited to join the Facebook Group entitled "ASI Jonathan Shearer's Classes and Workshops", and they continued to receive instruction, stimulation and motivation. The results of this work during lockdown are now being displayed on a new on-line gallery - ART UNLOCKED. It is a magnificent set of paintings, all created during lockdown, and is now available for viewing HERE .
Members are kindly invited to see more detailed information for participation in these activities in the INFO FOR MEMBERS page.
An ON-LINE PAINTING DAY was held on the first Wednesday in June. A short report is presented in the INFO FOR MEMBERS/Groups page.
The ART UNLOCKED Exhibition
was opened on Friday 15th May
The January demonstration on Charcoal Portraiture,
by HUGH KIRKWOOD,
was very well attended and greatly enjoyed by all !
Our Pre Christmas Sale held in the Victorian Market, Inverness
raised over £200 for the British Heart Foundation Charity
Our SUMMER EXHIBITION in 2019 was held in the Town House, Inverness
We have been looking forward to finding a new venue for 2020 and the Committee are considering the possible options taking account of probable restrictions. The prize-winning paintings from the 2019 Exhibition are shown below.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: Art Society Inverness