The Art Society of Inverness was founded 75 years ago and continues to provide all kinds of opportunities to artists, aspiring artists and those just interested in the visual arts. Our activities include classes, workshops, talks, demonstrations, trips, exhibitions and of course social events. Members come from all over the Highlands and beyond, and include a wide spectrum of artists, from experienced professionals to leisure painters and beginners. This website is for members and non-members alike. Please use the menu on the left to find out what we do and what is going on. You can also see the work of some of our members on the Gallery pages.
CLASSES... PAINTING DAYS...
CHARITY SALES... EXHIBITIONS...
DURING COVID: ON-LINE - CHALLENGES, FACEBOOK GROUPS, DEMONSTRATIONS, TUITION....
NEWS following the Coronavirus crisis:
Since all of our group activities had to be suspended in March 2020 several new initiatives were set up to keep the society active and in communication on-line:-
- the SPRING CHALLENGE and the SUMMER CHALLENGE were held to keep members painting on Spring and Summer inspired paintings. The results were displayed on Facebook.
- the TOGETHER 2020 GALLERIES, and the TOGETHER 2020 DRAWING ROOM, were also set up to keep members motivated with an opportunity to display their work.
- members attending Jonathan Shearer's classes were invited to join the Facebook Group entitled "ASI Jonathan Shearer's Classes and Workshops", and they continued to receive instruction, stimulation and motivation. Results of this work during lockdown were displayed on an on-line gallery - ART UNLOCKED. On line painting days have also been taking place as a substitute for the live painting days.
Members are kindly invited to see more detailed information for participation in these activities, and regarding the Annual Exhibition 2020, in the INFO FOR MEMBERS page.
- An OUTDOOR PAINTING DAY was held at Rosemarkie on Wednesday 2nd September. For a short video of a demonstration given by Jonathan Shearer click here.
- An ON-LINE PAINTING DAY was held on the first Wednesday in June. A short report is presented in the INFO FOR MEMBERS/Groups page. Another on-line painting day was held in early July; the brief was to do figurative paintings following on from an earlier exercise drawing nude figures.
- The ART UNLOCKED Exhibition was opened on Friday 15th May.
- The January demonstration on Charcoal Portraiture, by HUGH KIRKWOOD, was very well attended and greatly enjoyed by all !
- Our Pre Christmas Sale held in the Victorian Market, Inverness raised over £200 for the British Heart Foundation Charity
Our SUMMER EXHIBITION in 2019 was held in the Town House, Inverness. We have been looking forward to finding a new venue for 2020 and the Committee have been considering the possible options taking account of probable restrictions. However it has now been decided that this year's exhibition will be a pre-Christmas on-line exhibition to be scheduled for November-December.
The prize-winning paintings from the 2019 Exhibition are shown below.
FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK: Art Society Inverness